Thursday, September 12, 2013

"Opa"--a short story, by Alan Wynzel


 

 Copyright 2013 by Alan Wynzel

 

 

Opa

 

 

Christmas, 1995—I was in New York City with my mother to see Rockefeller Center and the Christmas tree.  Somehow we found ourselves outside of St. Patrick’s Cathedral.  “It’s so much like the churches in Germany”, my mother said, “Let’s go in.”

My mother was born a German, and despite living in America since 1956, she will always be a German.  She suffered most of World War II in Munich beneath the murderous rain of Allied bombs.  And although she kept her German identity, she lost her faith; it collapsed in the war’s inferno like her Munich’s Frauenkirche Cathedral.  While the postwar Germans raised the Frauenkirche, hope of my mother’s Catholic resurrection was dashed by her marriage to my Jewish father, a New York cabbie, and her disdain for the “modern” ways of the American Catholics.

“When I was a kid in Germany they said Mass in Latin!  It was something that moved you, it was holy.  Here it’s all in English and the priest makes with jokes, trying to clown around.  Like a party.  And the churches here, they all look like schools and office buildings.  There’s nothing to inspire you, to uplift you.”

But the holy grandeur of the European cathedrals still pulled at her.  And like the numerous cathedrals, chapels, and monasteries my mother and I visited in our German travels (she took me home with her six times when I was a child); my mother had to see the great St. Patrick’s, because it reminded her of home.

Not that I cared.  I was thirty then and tired of my mother’s German ways, her constant pining for her lost German life.  That Germany was gone.  As were other things.

“I want to light a candle for my father,” she said.  “He died around this time of the year, in Siberia.  I want to light a candle and say a prayer for him.”

My mother lost more than her faith in the war.  She lost her father.  She made a small tithing and lit a candle.  And then, to my surprise, she made the sign of the Cross and whispered a prayer.  I silently watched.  And I knew she would tell me the story…once again, the story of her father…my grandfather… my “Opa”.

And I thought, For God’s sakes, it’s been fifty years now.  Let go of him already.

But she couldn’t. 

“My father was born in 1900, out in the country, in Bavaria.  They were just farmers.  They took his father and sent him off to the first war, and then they took my father, while he was still a boy, later on.  I have a picture of him, with all the other boys from his village, drafted into a company in 1917.  He was lucky and he came back unhurt.  So did his father.  They made it through that one.

“He married my mother in the ‘20s.  I was their first child, and a few years later my two brothers came, one after another.  I had an older sister that Mama had when she was young, before she married.  But this half-sister never liked us kids, and as soon as she was old enough, she took off and we never saw her again.  Not to this day.

“Life was tough in the country.  But it was simple and we were happy with work and school and basic things.  Our teachers, our parents, and the priests expected us to do as we were told, or we got a beating.  They took the stick or the belt to us.  My mother had her wooden spoon.  We had to be tough, and lucky for us we were.  Or we never would have survived what was coming.

“My father worked hard from sunup to sunset.  But we were still poor.  This was the Depression, and it was worse in Germany than anywhere else.  We went weeks without a scrap of meat.  We ate potatoes and made pancakes from what flour we found.  A few vegetables.  That’s all.  No matter how hard my father worked, that’s all we had.

“Then Hitler came and soon there were jobs and money and food.  My father moved us to Munchen so he could take a job in a factory.  He filed steel parts all day, and the metal dust got in his skin, and worked its way into his eyes, even with goggles, and he began slowly going blind.  I remember he had glasses, but he still had to struggle to read the newspaper.  First he brought the paper to his nose, and then he pushed it away, holding it as far from his face as he could.  But it was still blurry.

“We had a flat in a building in the Alt Trudering neighborhood.  We weren’t far from Dachau.  But to us, Dachau meant nothing.  To us it was just a place we sometimes passed on our bikes or on the Strassenbahn, the streetcar.  Anyway, things were better then, but you know, we were still poor, just not as bad as before.

“My mother was very hard on my father.  I guess you could say she was a real bitch.  She complained about everything, and never gave the poor man any peace.  He was quiet, you see, and she was a ranter.  And it drove her crazy when he wouldn’t talk back to her.  She tried always to provoke him with her complaints and her nagging.  He would sit and listen for hours in silence.  Then something would snap and he would get up and smack her one, knock her to the floor.  That would shut her up…”

That’s where my mother got it, I thought, her relentless nagging and criticism, from her mother.  But my old man didn’t bear it silently.  He was on his feet at her first word, right in my mother’s face.  And if he knocked her down a few times, well, she got her licks in, too; with thrown plates and coffee mugs and once a glass Listerine bottle, the only weapon with guaranteed antiseptic properties:  lay open and sterilize a scalp in one step.  Not that it was unjustified, I suppose.  My old man was selfish, lazy, adulterous, and had a hair-trigger temper.  He was an old New York blue-collar Jew with a big mouth.  First I was afraid of him, then I was embarrassed by him; finally, I hated him.  And in each step of this evolution to my final break with him, my mother was there, guiding me.  He was no good and she made sure I understood that; she vilified him without letup.  By the time I figured out her game, it was too late to undo her manipulations.  He was dead.  There was nothing left for me to do but try to recollect the brief time when I was little and he loved me, and we, we were father and son.

“Stupid Americans, they think every German was a Nazi.  They don’t understand that we were just people, regular, poor people.  We had to join the Hitler Youth and wear the uniforms and march and sing in the parades.  So what?  What did we know, especially us kids?  It’s just something we had to do, it was expected of us.  So was doing our schoolwork and going to church.  And our parents, they went to work and struggled to survive.

“Then the war came.  I was twelve when it started.    My brothers were nine and five.  Things were okay the first few years, but later on, we were hungry again, because they started rationing food.

“My father was drafted into the local defense force.  He was forty, and he had those bad eyes.  But they gave him a uniform and a rifle anyway, and he had to do duty around the city.

“A few years passed and then the bombing started.  First a little.  Then nearly non-stop, until the end of the war.  Night and day.  There is no way to describe what it was like.  There is no way you can know what it was like unless you were there.  No way.  The people here, they had it so easy during the war.  They complain about the rationing; they couldn’t get a steak or gas for their cars to take a trip to the beach.  Ha!  They don’t know what suffering is.  What a horror war is…”

There was a time, a few years before, when I was driving my mother home from a holiday visit to friends.  Of course they were German friends, most of my mother’s friends were.  I was a few years out of college and living with her; I was a mess, I was lost, and I couldn’t hold a job then.  That was my post-traumatic response to the war in my home and the Listerine bottles and the torn German-Jewish fabric of my soul.  But it was nothing compared to my mother’s post-traumatic disorder.

It was night and the sky was thick with clouds.  We passed Dealer’s Row: the avenue leading out of town dotted with one car dealership after another.  And one was attracting attention to its big weekend sale with a trio of floodlights that played searching arcs across the belly of the gray cloud cover.  Much the same as the searchlights that played across Munich’s wartime skies, desperate to spot Allied bombers in time.  My mother covered her face and turned away.

“I can’t look at that.  Why do they have to do that?  They shouldn’t be allowed to do that!”

And I remembered then, the one time in high school that I played my Black Sabbath album.  Specifically, the song “War Pigs”, with its howling overture of air raid sirens.  My mother, flushed crimson, charged into my room and shrieked, “Turn that shit off now!”  I knew why, and I did.

And I knew then, like I knew when we saw the floodlights, like I knew outside of St. Patrick’s in 1995, that no matter what had happened in my home in my childhood, it would never top my mother’s suffering.  And I know that my mother was making sure I knew that.  Maybe not so much out of any sense of perverse satisfaction, but instead because of her burden of guilt.

“They put my father in an Air Defense unit.  He went at night with the other old men to the flak towers, where they had the guns, and from high up there they watched the city burn.  They watched, without being able to do anything, while their neighborhoods were destroyed.

“We had some close calls.  When the sirens went off, we had to run to the bunker.  They would lock them when they filled, or when the first bombs hit, and sometimes we couldn’t get in.  Then you had to find a hole in the ground to crawl in until it was over.  Once I stayed behind to fix some food to take, because we would be in the bunkers for hours, starving.  I didn’t make it in time, and I got locked out.  I spent the night on the steps…

“It was me, my mother, and my two little brothers, alone most nights.  We worried about my father because he was away on duty during the raids, and sometimes he had to help clean up afterwards, and he didn’t get back for days.  When he did, he had nothing to say about what happened.  Not with words.  But we read the story in his near-blind eyes.

“He had it the worst.  Between his work and his eyes, his duty and my mother, the poor man had but one pleasure, once a year: his Christmas tree.

“Christmas was always the best time, to me, holy.  There is nothing like the German Christmases we had as children.  It had nothing to do with presents; we were so poor, all we got for gifts were maybe an orange, or a pfennig, or a part to fix a broken doll.  But it was still wonderful, exciting, and frightening, too.

“Here they have Santa Claus, but we had the Christ Kind.  He came to our houses and we had to hide.  If we were bad that year, we would get a lump of coal and a beating afterwards.  If we were good, we got a gift.  We never saw him, of course, but we heard him come in while we huddled under our covers.   Of course we never got the beating, but we were always afraid we would.  Then afterwards we would go out to the midnight Mass.  And every year it snowed before Christmas, and in the day the sun would melt the top of the snow and at night the wind would howl down from the Alps and freeze it, turning it into ice.  When we walked at night to Mass and back the snow was crispy, knusperie.  And I loved that sound.  I will never forget that sound.

“And my father, every year he would go out alone to the forest a few days before Christmas with his pipe and an axe.  No one was allowed to go with him.  He would be gone all day, and when it came near dark, my mother would fret and complain.  He would finally return, dragging a tree he cut himself.

“In the afternoon of Christmas Eve my father would set up the tree.  But he didn’t hurry with it; he didn’t just throw it up in a stand and leave it.  No, he took his time and made it perfect.  See, no tree is even.  He would prop it and look at it for a long time.  Then he would take his knife and start trimming the branches.

“He worked on the tree until it was perfectly balanced.  If there were open patches, he would drill holes in the trunk, then take branches from where the tree was dense and fit them in the holes, filling the empty spots.  He worked like this for hours.  Before long my mother would start complaining because she had a big dinner to cook and whenever she had a lot of work to do that set her off.  But he would ignore her.  He wouldn’t quit until that tree was perfect.  That was his only pleasure and his only art.

“And when we moved to Munchen, he still got his tree.  We had a bicycle and he would ride out of town to the woods.  He lugged it home and up the four flights to our apartment.

“The war dragged on, with more bombings and less and less food.  I finished school and was apprenticed to a baker.  The bakery was across the city.  They were one of the few who had enough food.  They were fat, in fact, but they were stingy feeding me.  They made me their slave, cleaning up their bakery, and I had to share a room in the baker’s house above the bakery, with the baker’s daughter, because it was too far to travel home.  It took too long to cross the bombed city, and it was too dangerous.  So I lived there during the week.  And that baker’s daughter, she hated me, and I was miserable.

“One weekend I went home, and on Monday I had to go back.  I was late and afraid I would lose the job or at best, get a beating.  But it never happened.

“When I got back there was no more bakery, just a hole in the ground.  And flour dust in the air.  I stared at the hole for a few minutes, and then I went home.  I was apprenticed as a salesgirl after that, in a department store, although by then, there was nothing much to sell.

“Then orders came in for my father, in late ‘44.  His flak unit was mobilized into the Wehrmacht for duty near Berlin.  He had to leave the next day.  My mother was hysterical.  My father had to be at the train station, the Ostbahnhof, at dawn.  My mother was too upset to go with him.  My brothers were afraid.  I was sixteen, then.  I went with him.

“We stumbled through the wrecked streets and there was not much to say.  We had to be careful in the dark; you could fall in a crater and break your bones.  Or trip over things.

“We got caught in a raid.  It came so fast there was no time to find a bunker.  But we found a crater, and we took cover there.  I don’t think the raid was long, but it felt that way.

“We made it to the Ostbahnhof in time.  He met his unit there; all the old men from our neighborhood, all in the same unit.  The train came and he got on, and he was gone.

“And I never saw him again.

 “We had a letter from him, once, and that was it.  He had arrived outside Berlin OK.  We were terribly worried.  And of course we had our own troubles.

“The bombings worsened by the week.  Christmas came, and of course without my father, there was no tree.  But we were lucky; we weren’t bombed out, although there were some close calls.  1945 came and we were very hungry.  Rations were cut to nothing.  We spent a lot of time searching or waiting for food.  Everything fell apart, first slowly, then quickly.  You could feel that the war was almost over.  Order broke down.  Soldiers were on the move, first one way, and then another.  There was no sense to it.  And then we heard they were rounding up boys to fight.

“My brother Hansi, he was fourteen.  We knew they would come for him to make him a soldier.  But enough was enough.  My mother hid him in a wrecked barn, and we snuck him food when we could.

“Then one day the soldiers came.  ‘Where is your son, they asked?  He has to come with us; he has to defend the city.’  They were Military Police.  They were real bastards, and they didn’t look like they had done any fighting themselves, ever.  My mother was shaking with fury, trying to hold her tongue.  She didn’t say a word, she just beckoned them.

“She led them to the ruin of an apartment building down the street.

“‘He’s buried under this with his best friend.  If you can find him, you can take him!’

“The soldiers left, and didn’t come back.

“Then, just like that, the war was over, and the Americans came to the city.  We hoped my father would come home, or we’d hear some word from him.  But there was nothing…”

My mother didn’t know his awful fate until 1947, when the sole survivor of the flak unit came home, and told the story.

“They were up by Berlin for a while.  Suddenly they were put on trains and sent south, to Czechoslovakia, without the flak guns.  They gave them some bullets for their old rifles and some little rockets to fight tanks and put them in the front line.  It was early ‘45.

“They were supposed to fight but there was no way they could.  They were old men, lame, weak, or nearly blind, like my father.  The Russians came with ten thousand men and a hundred tanks and surrounded them.  There was no hope and they surrendered, without firing a shot.  Not a shot, dammit!

“But the Russians didn’t care about that.  They packed them in trains and sent them east.  They stopped somewhere and let them out of the cars, and there were women there, Red Army women.  The women laughed at them and beat them, and then they took their underpants and socks, and their boots, too, if they had good boots.  Then back on the train.

“This time the train kept going, all the way until it reached Siberia, in the middle of nowhere, near the Arctic Circle.  There was a camp for prisoners, beside a forest.   And they put them to work.

“They had to cut down all the trees.  They worked the prisoners from dawn till dark with barely any food.  Cutting trees by hand.

“Christmas trees.

“Siberia.  The men had no socks.  No underpants!  The women had taken them!  How did they expect them to survive in the cold, huh?  How?  Everybody thinks the Germans are monsters; the Germans were the only murderers in the war.  It’s a lie.  What about those Russian bastards, the way they killed their prisoners or worked them to death?  How many millions did Stalin kill, before the war?  How, how did they expect them to survive in the winter?  How…?”

And so my Opa died there, in Siberia, cutting down Christmas trees.  He froze to death and he’s there still, under the snow, alone, awaiting discovery like a thousand score other Germans, German mastodons, extinct, frozen over, vanished.  There is no marker on his grave, because he has no grave, no place of rest, in that infinity of icy nothingness.  If he is ever uncovered, his gray brittle face will serve as wordless epitaph.

“Time passed and we figured he was dead but we didn’t know. We were penniless but my mother couldn’t get her war widow’s pension because we had no proof of his death.  Then, in ’47, that man from the unit came back.  He had survived the camp.  He told us what happened.  And he signed an affidavit attesting to my father’s death so my mother could get the pension.  He signed affidavits for all the widows of the neighborhood men in that unit…”

By 1995 I was tired of this story.  Now I’m writing it myself.  Why?  Why now, when my choice is to identify myself as a Jew, am I writing this German story?

Maybe it was the death of my own father in 1998 that changed things.  He was an old man, too, a very old man--he was born in 1910.  When I was born he was already 54.  Like my mother’s father, he suffered—a lonely, impoverished life—and then the awful temper and fierce tongue of my own mother.  And because of this I shared my mother’s sorrow for a lost father and his tale of doom, along with some understanding of why, now after 60 years, she still can’t let him go.

For there is a relevancy here and similarities beyond mere coincidence.  My father did not die peaceably.  He too was exiled to a Siberia.  He fashioned it with his shameful ways, but my mother and I sent him there, and kept him there, because we didn’t forgive him.  He died there, miserable, sick, alone.  I didn’t see him for the three years leading up to his death.  It was too much for me.  I was afraid of the feelings that might be overwhelm me seeing him, slowly rotting all that time in the sad hell of a state-run nursing home, the last stop on his long journey.  Before the nursing home, he spent a decade nearly homeless, shifting between nights in fleabag motels and sleep stolen in hiding on NJ Transit trains.  And when he was desperate, a homeless shelter.

Now he lays alone in death, too.  I buried him, and never went back.  There is no marker on his grave.  I have never bothered to have one erected.  Like my Opa in Siberia, my father lies in an unmarked pit.

Perhaps this is what I learned from the constant telling of my Opa’s story.  That fathers are to be sent away to suffer and never be seen again.

 

 

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment