Saturday, January 18, 2014

A Disclaimer for When I Was German

Readers please note that I use minimal punctuation and do not quote dialogue in When I Was German.  I have done this for stylistic reasons because the narrative is primarily an internal monologue, with the narrator relating much of the dialogue.  My intention was for the story to flow as smoothly as possible and I feel this has been achieved by my approach.

This style of writing is not for every reader.  Many readers are more comfortable with "standard" amounts of punctuation and having all dialogue quoted in order to better follow who is speaking.

Having great respect for the literary achievements of Faulkner, Hemingway, and Cormac McCarthy, I suppose it is natural that I would be inspired by their style.

http://www.openculture.com/2013/08/cormac-mccarthys-punctuation-rules.html

No comments:

Post a Comment